From a friend of mine,whom I love for her wisdom and example of love.
We straight folk have all been using the public bathroom with LGBTQ people for our entire lives and most of us have never had an issue, (and definitely not one this bill addresses). We will all continue to use the bathroom with LGBTQ people going forward. The idea that we now won’t, or that this will somehow keep our daughters safer is simply misinformation and fear-peddling to justify a conclusion. It’s a false victory based on a nonexistent threat, which the Church and politicians specialize in . . . HB2 is a bad decision made for the wrong reasons to solve a problem that didn’t exist. . . The bad guys are straight guys who want to force their way upon women wherever they do this, those who stay silent in the face of them, and those who shut down efforts to call them out as the real problem—a problem a “bathroom bill” does absolutely nothing to address.”
Found this online this morning; gave me a good chuckle.
Making the rounds on The inter-webs: “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but it looks like Trump is actually making America great again. Just look at the progress made since the election:
1. Unprecedented levels of ongoing civic engagement.
2. Millions of Americans now know who their state and federal representatives are without having to google.
3. Millions of Americans are exercising more. They’re holding signs and marching every week.
4. Alec Baldwin is great again. Everyone’s forgotten he’s kind of a jerk.
5. The Postal Service is enjoying the influx cash due to stamps purchased by millions of people for letter and postcard campaigns.
6. Likewise, the pharmaceutical industry is enjoying record growth in sales of anti-depressants.
7. Millions of Americans now know how to call their elected officials and know exactly what to say to be effective.
8. Footage of town hall meetings is now entertaining.
9. Tens of millions of people are now correctly spelling words like emoluments, narcissist, fascist, misogynist, holocaust and cognitive dissonance.
10. Everyone knows more about the rise of Hitler than they did last year.
11. Everyone knows more about legislation, branches of power and how checks and balances work.
12. Marginalized groups are experiencing a surge in white allies.
13. White people in record numbers have just learned that racism is not dead. (See #6)
14. White people in record numbers also finally understand that Obamacare IS the Affordable Care Act.
15. Stephen Colbert’s “Late Night” finally gained the elusive #1 spot in late night talk shows, and Seth Meyers is finding his footing as today’s Jon Stewart.
16. “Mike Pence” has donated millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood since Nov. 9th.
17. Melissa FREAKING McCarthy.
18. Travel ban protesters put $24 million into ACLU coffers in just 48 hours, enabling them to hire 200 more attorneys. Lawyers are now heroes.
19. As people seek veracity in their news sources, respected news outlets are happily reporting a substantial increase in subscriptions, a boon to a struggling industry vital to our democracy.
20. Live streaming court cases and congressional sessions are now as popular as the Kardashians.
21. Massive cleanup of facebook friend lists.
22. People are reading classic literature again. Sales of George Orwell’s “1984” increased by 10,000% after the inauguration. (Yes, that is true. 10,000%. 9th grade Lit teachers all over the country are now rock stars.)
23. More than ever before, Americans are aware that education is important. Like, super important.
24. Now, more than anytime in history, everyone believes that anyone can be President. Seriously, anyone.
I’m going to be teaching sewing classes!
I’m so excited!
I’ve loved sewing ever since I taught myself, 20 some years ago, and I was able to support myself and my daughter for a while by doing seamstress work for others, and later I clothed my family almost entirely with clothing I had made myself.
I put it aside for a while to pursue other interests and ventures, and now I’m getting a chance to dive back in and share the fun and satisfaction of creation with other women!
If you or someone you know might be interested, here is the link to sign up. We are limiting the class to the first 10 women to sign up, but if there is enough interest, I will definitely repeat the class!
Something exciting coming soon! Stay tuned for details later today!
So… testing a new app and making an embarrassing confession all in one…
The app is part of my interest in being less of a perfectionist and more accepting of real life by posting on the fly. Because I have SO. MANY. DRAFTS. that I probably won’t publish because they are so old, but I was tweaking and fine tuning and waiting for the moment and… yada yada yada…
So, with the app, I make a rough post that is probably more like a tweet or Facebook update and it posts what I write to my blog. It will probably take a few tries to make it do what I want it to, but that’s part of the whole idea.
Show the messy.
Show the learning curve.
Because I am so encouraged when I see that others have a learning curve.
The confession is that the panic attack that has been brewing for the last few hours came to a head with me on the floor gasping for breath in the middle of cooking supper for my family. And I am SO. PROUD. of my family.
(Yep,I did the all caps/period with every word thing twice in one post. Because this is unedited, on-the-fly posting and I think that way)
They checked in with me, made sure I was “ok”, and then gave me the one thing I needed more than anything else:
the gift of invisibility.
They carried on with supper prep and pretended I wasn’t there.
As a result, I recovered quickly and am SO proud of my family and SO grateful for their love.